Entrepreneurship and Business Management
Aims of the Programme
The aims of this programme is to give individuals seeking to start their own business the skills, management tools and expertise in making the right decisions, planning and organising effectively.
Upon Completion of this programme participants will:
- Have explored the realities of running their own business showing an understanding of basic business fundamentals.
- Understand the standard and the framework and underlying principles of formatting a business plan.
- Develop a business plan process combining marketing, financial and management plans.
- Understand the sales and marketing process and in effect be able to produce a sales action plan.
- Understand the forms of business organisation, the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Explore issues relating to business development.
This programme addresses a number of key considerations for anyone who is considering starting up their own business
- Thinking Strategically
- Business Finance
- Marketing and Sales
The programme contains practical exercises to help participants learn and implement core skills in each of these areas.
Participants will be advised to contact their personal advisers in the areas of Tax and Employment Law.
Session 1 Entrepreneurship
Entrepreneurship – what is it?
EXERCISE Personal skills analysis
- Identify entrepreneurial traits
- Assess your suitability as an entrepreneur
Identifying and Developing The Idea
- How do opportunities arise?
- Identifying Opportunities
- Tools to help identify opportunities (SCAMPER)
EXERCISE Develop your idea
EXERCISE Idea Selection: Weighted Pairs
Session 2 Strategic Planning
EXERCISE Define the business opportunity
Company Strengths and Weaknesses
EXERCISE Produce a SWOT
Determine the Basis and Scope of Competition
EXERCISE Develop Strategic Plan
Session 3 Business Finance
Legal forms of Company Structure
Estimating Business Costs
Sales Price Volume Calculations
Calculating Product / Service Cost
Fixed and Variable Costs
EXERCISE Cash flow Planning
Session 4 Marketing and Sales
Introduction to marketing
The 4P’s (Product, Price, Place and Promotion)
Market size & trends
Identifying and meeting customer needs
EXERCISE Developing a marketing plan
GOALS AND TARGETS
What’s it worth?
What are the consequences?
Who are they
What do they currently think and do?
What do you want them to think and do?
WHO ARE YOU
What’s the story?
What’s the one big thing?
How should we talk to the audience?
CONTROL AND MEASURE